How to apply for Australia Partner Visa from India?
How to apply for Australia Partner Visa from India?

By Aptechvisa [Published Thu, May 10 2018]

Australia is such country which is becoming favorite for all the immigrants be it skilled workers or young professionals from India. The reason which attracts many immigrants to Australia is its work opportunities and ease of living. Indians find Australia extremely comfortable country to move in permanently. The Kangaroo country houses large number of Indian communities across its states.

In this blog, we would like to bring in focus the other Australia PR visas as well. Everyone is well-aware about the skilled migration visas but there are few people who go beyond skilled migration visas. They fail to have a proper knowledge about other highly in demand Australia Family visas specifically Australia Partner Visa.

Hence, in this write-up, the prime focus is to enlighten you about Australia Partner Visa.

What is Australia Spouse/ Partner Visa?

Australia Partner Visa allows you to live in Australia if you have a spouse/ de-facto partner who is already an Australian citizen/ Permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Who can apply for Australia Partner Visa?

A partner visa can be applied by a partner/ spouse/fiancé of an Australian citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Your visa application for Partner Migration must be sponsored by your Australian resident spouse or de facto partner for a minimum of 2 years.

What are the subclasses under Australia Partner visa?

The family partner migration visa can be applied under:

  • Subclass 309 and subclass 100
  • Subclass 820 and subclass 801

Subclass 309 visa under Partner visa is a temporary visa that is valid for 2 years. After the required time period (2 years) if you are still in a genuine and long-lasting relationship with your spouse/partner, you may be eligible to apply for Australia Partner visa under subclass 309.

The only condition to apply for subclass 309 is that you must be outside Australia when you apply and receive your temporary spouse visa subclass 309 visa.

Subclass 100 under Partner visa is a permanent visa which you get after completing 2 years on visa subclass 309. You can either be in Australia or outside Australia when you receive your permanent partner visa under subclass 100.

You only need to apply one partner visa application for both temporary (subclass 309) visa and permanent (subclass 100) visa. Your permanent visa will be processed after 2 years. You pay the charges of only one visa application.

Subclass 820 is exactly like subclass 309, both are temporary visas but the basic difference between the two is- you must be inside Australia when applying for subclass 820 whereas, subclass 100 asks you to be outside Australia till the time your visa is not processed.

Subclass 801 is also similar to subclass 100, both are the permanent partner visas which you will be entitled to apply after living in Australia for 2 years.

For 801 permanent partner visa, you must be in Australia at the time of application and issuance of partner visas.

What do these visas actually means to you?

Since, all the above mentioned partner visas are quite confusing and baffled up! No worries, we will try to help you understand what every subclass demands and which one is best suited according to your situation.

  • Temporary partner Visa Subclass 820 and 309

These visas allows you to live, study, and work in Australia until your permanent visa is under-process. However, this visa doesn’t grants you to apply for government funding for your studies in Australia. But, you can avail healthcare facilities.

  • Permanent Partner Visa Subclass 801 and 100

Both of them are permanent partner visas which allows you to:

  • Live, study, and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • Apply for Australian citizenship
  • Sponsor relatives for Australia PR
  • Receive social security payments
  • Travel in and out of Australia for a time period of 5 years. After completing 5 years, you will need a fresh visa to enter Australia

What are the basic eligibility requirements to apply for Australia Partner Visa?

In order to apply for Australia Partner Visa, you must meet the below mentioned requirements:

  • You and your partner must be over and above 18 years of age
  • You must be either a partner/spouse/de facto partner of Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • You must be sponsored by your spouse for at least 2 years
  • If married, your marriage must be recognized as valid under Australian Law and you should be married for 1 year minimum
  • If in a de facto relationship, your relationship must be over 12 months old
  • You both must prove that your relationship is of committed and genuine nature
  • You must meet character and health parameters

During an interview, you may be asked to proof the genuineness of your relationship, in that case, you may submit proofs like photographs, joint bank account statements, investments etc.

If you comply with the above mentioned requirements, you become eligible to apply for Australia Partner visa from India.

Exceptions of getting Australia Partner Visa within 2 years:

Although it is mandatory to live in Australia for a minimum of 2 years but if you fall in any one of the below mentioned circumstances, you may apply for Australia permanent partner visa, without living in Australia for 2 years:

  • You are married or are in a de facto relationship for at least 3 years or more at the time of filing family partner visa application or,
  • You are married or are in a de facto relationship for 2 years or more and have a child from the relationship or,
  • Your spouse has Australian Permanent Residency under humanitarian program or,
  • Your spouse is issued protection visa and in either of the cases, you are in a relationship/ married to your spouse before visa is granted and the same has been notified to the Australian immigration officer
  • If you or your family member is perpetrated with domestic violence
  • If your spouse has passed away and you can prove that this relationship would have been continued if only your spouse lived. Also, if you can prove that you have strong personal, cultural and business bond with Australia, your case can be considered.

Thus, if you wish to know further about Australia Partner Migration, your chances to migrate Australia on a partner visa, you must fill the free assessment form and wait for the visa experts of Aptech Global to call you back.


Alternatively, you may connect to the visa specialists on 7503832132 or just write your query to